Monday, November 2, 2009

Breakthrough Prayer


I am reading a book called "Breakthrough Prayer: The Secret of Receiving What You Need from God." It's a pretty fancy title that peaks your interest, but in my opinion, it's not really a secret - it's all found in Scripture! I really appreciate how Jim Cymbala, the author, uses Scripture to make his points in the book. I also really liked this exert from Chapter 4- Breakthrough Promises:

One Sunday morning, as people gathered to pray at the front of the church after the service, I saw a man motioning to me to come and pray for him. When I asked how I could help, he replied that he was requesting prayer for physical healing. But something about him troubled me. When I asked if he was a Christian, he said, "Yeah, of course, I've been in church almost all of my life."
"What church are you presently a member of?" I countered. "Oh, I kind of just move around as the Spirit leads. I haven't been a member anywhere for years."
For some reason I felt no peace about praying for him. Then I noticed a woman standing a few feet behind him. When I asked about her, he said, "Yeah, that's my girlfriend."
I felt God leading me to ask another question, one that required some boldness.
"Where does she live?" I asked.
"What do you mean, where does she live? I came up for prayer for this problem, and you're asking about my girlfriend?"
I didn't budge, feeling sure God was helping me.
"You know exactly what I mean. Where does she live?"
"Okay, we live together. But God knows I really love her, and we're definitely gonna make it right one day. We have a special relationship that the Lord understands. But forget that - are you gonna pray for my healing or not?"
"Let me get this straight," I answered. "You know the Bible and claim to be a Christian. You're living in fornication with this lady and know that it's wrong before God. And you now want me to ask that same God to heal you while you live this mess? Sir, there's not one chance in a billion that God will answer you or anyone else who prays about it. He would have to violate His Word to hear you. And if He answered you, He would be encouraging your horrible lifestyle."
I'm not sure he heard the last sentence because he walked out in a huff before I finished speaking. I regretted that, but it was better than carrying on a meaningless charade and failing to tell him the trust as it is in Jesus.


Emphasis Mine

The point of this story isn't that God doesn't hear a sinner's prayer. It's that it's easy to ask God for things, but it's much more difficult to adjust our hearts and live according to His Word.

Jim Cymbala states shortly after this story, "Every sin we hide and justify becomes a hindrance to bold, confident prayer to the Father (86)."

Lord Jesus, I know you do not condemn me, but please convict me of anything I have in my heart that needs to be purified. I do not want ANYTHING to come between my relationship to You. I know you love me and hear my prayers. Please give me the strength to not be weak and hide things from You. I confess my sins now________. Thank you for Your forgiveness! I live in the power of Your Son, Jesus. Amen.

No comments: